The Results Are In: Winners of National Competition Featuring the Droid Inventor Kit
Ayah Bdeir explains why 8 is a critical age for girls
Back in November, littleBits announced The littleBits Competition: Droid Inventor Kit in collaboration with Lucasfilm -- a competition which invited kids, families, and Star Wars fans in the U.S., U.K., and Canada to share their own unique Droid creations with the global inventor community. Our goal was to to challenge kids to think outside the box and invent their own custom Droids using littleBits’ award-winning Droid Inventor Kit.
And think outside the box, they did! Here are some takeaways from the competition:
- There were hundreds of submissions from cities like Denver, Colorado to Etobicoke, Ontario
- Fifty-one percent of the entries featured female inventors (nearly five times the industry norm for Star Wars-related activity)
- Girls’ inventions followed some patterns; many were created to help their siblings, create art, take care of pets, or assist with household chores like cooking or cleaning
Each submission was judged on creative use of materials, inventiveness, and a video presentation. The panel of judges comprised accomplished female business and entertainment role models including:
- Ayah Bdeir, founder and CEO at littleBits
- Kathleen Kennedy, president at Lucasfilm
- Daisy Ridley, the actress who portrays Rey in the current Star Wars trilogy
- Kelly Marie Tran, the actress who portrays Rose Tico in Star Wars: The Last Jedi
“I was really struck by how innovative and creative these kids are, and what a fantastic sense of humor they have,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “The submissions were truly inspiring, and I’m hopeful their enthusiasm for inventing will become a lifelong passion.”
Without further ado, here’s littleBits Founder and CEO Ayah Bdeir announcing the winners!
Interested in taking a look at some of the other innovative inventions stemming from the competition? Don't forget to peruse them here.
You can check out the full winners’ list here.