Meet Zachary McCune @zmccune
I am based in…Gotham City aka New York.
My maker superpower is…Crafting ‘Social Machines.’ I make objects that show social media activity or require interaction from friends around the world to work.
I am inspired by…
- Philosopher-Makers :: People like William Morris, Charles and Ray Eames, Ai Weiwei, Olafur Eliasson, the team at Breakfast NY, AND everyone who made Arduino happen. Bless those generous minds.
- Sociology :: Listening, watching, building, and dreaming with people. Seeing how groups often make more extraordinary things together than apart. Celebrating the joy of exchange between people and the wonder of an idea moving across a face.
I have used littleBits to make a…
- A device to show the local wave patterns in Newport, Rhode Island (I called it Tide Machine).
- A jack-o-lantern lit by Yo’s (Happy Hall-Yo-Ween!).
- A single circuit to show my mom and my brother the future of making things.
- A pair of Christmas Ornaments that connect two trees, two families, two homes (coming soon)
My dream bit…A Waterproof Bundle – A littleBits waterproof housing plus a set of buoy, propeller, and swimmer bits. Let’s get wet!
Watch this video of Zachary’s Tide Machine, a cloud-connected display for seeing surf reports: