Graciela was a Grand Prize Winner of our Magic of Invention Challenge with her littleBits Book of Monsters. She used many different kinds of materials to build it, like fur, polymer clay, marbles, and the littleBits Gizmos & Gadgets Kit, 2nd Edition. To control her invention remotely, she uses the Bit Controls for the Bluetooth Low Energy Bit on a smartphone. Graciela says the best part is “spooking my family out and recreating scenes from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.”
Where are you based?
I am based in Miami, FL
How would you describe yourself in six words or less?
I am determined, creative, intelligent, ambitious and achieving.
What was your littleBits “a-ha!” moment? The moment when you were bitten by the littleBits bug.
In Michigan, when I got my Gizmos & Gadgets Kit, 2nd Edition, I had finished building many of the given inventions. So I started to brainstorm other ideas. It was then I realized the infinite possibilities of littleBits.
When starting a littleBits project, what does your design and video process look like?
- I take a walk letting the thought of the project linger in my mind. When I come back, I find I have plenty of great ideas.
- I pick my favorite idea based on creativity and practicality.
- After I have picked my favorite idea, I draw out my circuit and think about ways for it to be better.
- I make my circuit drawing a reality.
- Then, I add any structure the Bits are going to be reacting with, and test the functionality of my invention.
- My final step of the building process is to add detail.
- For the video, I include: what my invention is, how it works, some cool footage, and any fun finishing touches like music.
How has littleBits impacted you creatively?
Now, I am able to transfer many of my engineering ideas into a reality!
What do you plan on inventing next?
I am thinking about inventing something helpful in daily life, or something pertaining to Star Wars, because it would be a hit with my brother.