Matt photo


Van Gogh's Sunflowers Reimagined

by Matt Fisher

Published on September 19, 2015

Last fall, as part of the Invent Anything online program, I started creating a reimagined version of one of my favorite pieces of art, Van Gogh's Sunflowers.  After working steadily on the project for a month, I had to cannibalize the moving painting piece so I could give the littleBits modules to students who were using our makerspace in the School of Education.   I finally got back to the piece and rebuilt the internal workings with the missing littleBits modules.  And voila!  My reimagined Van Gogh's Sunflowers is complete.  

Duration: On and off for 9 months

Credits: Matthew Fisher, Director, SELF Design Studio Sarah Prescott, LIS Graduate Student

How To Make It


Getting started I first started by creating the casing / rough frame from foam board. The size is roughly 30 cm x 40 cm. I cut out a working space (canvas) for the top which will lay over the top of the frame.


Painting the picture, mounting and cutting The next step was to paint the picture. I used watercolor pencil and pen / ink. I mounted each part to foam board with adhesive spray and cut out the individual part of the painting (flowers, flower pot) with an Exacto blade.   I cut out parts of the painting where the servos and motors will poke through to the front of the painting.  Then I built up the back sides of serval of the flower parts so that the pieces will at different distances from the front of the painting.  
588ff9f3 0996 4522 a04d d450301dc98c

Flower with foam board mounting

06b776dc af8d 430d 91e3 d3d4156d4ca5

Flower with foam board mounting

D19f8d31 f7ed 4dbd 9c7c ee56a415f231

Holes for servos and motors in the painting

998c3a6b 3f11 41d6 b418 a892424d71d5

Back of the flower, built up with foam board pieces and a piece to attach the motor mount


Mapping out the littleBits components The next step was to map out where to put the different littleBits components on the painting. Servos, motors, RBG LEDs... I decided on 3 servos, 2 motors, and a few LEDs. I also decided to have the painting be activated by motion, so I used the motion sensor, which I placed so that the sensor would stick out from the bottom of the painting.
D193ed4c 6a4b 42eb aa2b 4b41bc6b962d


... and then I ran into a power problem I found that one 9 volt battery did not have enough juice to adequately power all of the components in my circuit. The servos and motors were huge drains on the power. I tried to create a work around by creating two separate circuits, dividing up the motors and servos between the two circuits and activating each circuit by it's own motion sensor. 

After consulting with some fine folks at littleBits and the forum, I tried using a USB lipstick charger, but eventually decided to use the USB power and cable, which plugs into the wall.  Unlimited power!  

On a future iteration of the project, I'd like to laser cut gears which would control all of the parts of the painting without individual components.  But, that's a project for another day. 

9a3c704f b5b7 4db9 bc1c ad471dee4c7e

USB power and cable used for POWER!


Connecting all of the components (with wires and adding pulse modules) I pieced all of the littleBits together on the mounting boards and added a few pulse modules to have the flower parts turn and spin at different rates and directions.
3f7825e0 2d32 4380 a997 0a81b59ea3a5

All of the modules on the mounting boards

2d4960b5 1729 4860 871a baa817b21175

Inside the frame


Piecing it all together The last step was to put the cover on the frame and attach flower parts to the servos and motors. There are holes for three RGB LED's which illuminate the painting from behind several of the flowers.

I added some additional elements to the bottom layer of the canvas (flower stems) to tie all of the moving pieces back together.  

Once plugged in, the painting is activated whenever the motion trigger detects movement.  It's a little too sensitive to movement, so we may try to alter the motion trigger so that it doesn't pick up every movement in the room.  

5a5ae11e fdf1 45a9 97eb 616f03437632

Cc3bec31 1efe 42e8 b6b4 39bf5bc419ec

Finished reimaged Van Gogh sunflowers painting

B971c015 9356 4e25 8fd1 78fd882b6bec

LEDs taped to the back of the canvas


See the painting in motion Click here to see the painting activated by motion!

Related Projects

Agent Zack's disco ball

Agent Zack is spying on his #1enemy. This takes him to a night club, where he uses some crazy dance moves to keep his cover. The d...

Pro-Hockey Aim

This project allows you to work on your aim without a $100 machine or a private teacher!  

Snoopy #AnimatronicsChallenge

Amazing Snoopy typing his typewriter at the top of his house!This project was built with cardboard, tissue and cotton. The Snoopy ...