To understand complex ideas, we believe in the power of modular systems.
Modularity allows us to understand complex notions that we may have previously found intimidating by allowing us to break them down and build an even more complex idea back up, one building block at a time.
littleBits is a platform of more than 70 electronic building blocks with hundreds of billions of possible combinations. Our mission is to empower everyone to create inventions as large or small as they can imagine.
Today, littleBits are used in more than 3,000 schools, afterschool programs and libraries in more than 70 countries, and have enabled educators teaching across all grade levels and topics.
Ayah Bdeir, our founder and CEO, built the littleBits platform with the goal of creating a language to allow you to understand the world we live in, and to then reinvent it.
Through looking at the world through the lens of the littleBits modular platform, you can break down any complex electronic device and understand how it works. With littleBits modules (or Bits, as we call them) you have a language to understand the world around you, from simple dimmer lights to automatic elevator doors to internet-connected thermostats.
In this book, Ayah outlines the basics of littleBits modules. We strongly believe that there’s no better way to learn how to use littleBits than to jump right in and try them out. You’ll learn about the range of Bits and their functionalities. You’ll also be introduced to some of our favorite projects from our amazing community, including the Gramopaint Drawing Machine, Weather Forecaster, Pizza Box Phonograph, Pinball Machine, Blinking Robot Puppet, Synth Accordion, Line Following Robot, and Bubble Flute.
Check out some of these pages for great resources into our community:
- Get inspired to create your own littleBits projects! http://littlebits.cc/projects
- Unleash our massive collection of how-tos, video tutorials, and clever circuit combos: http://littlebits.cc/tips-tricks
- Learn more about how Bits work: http://littlebits.cc/how-it-works
- Have an idea for a new Bit? Build your own Bit and submit it online: http://littlebits.cc/bitlab
- Start making today — get your own littleBits kit to take home! http://littlebits.cc/shop
We can’t wait to see what you make!